We have learned so much on our journey so I thought I would sum up the top 10 things that have helped us and share them with you. I will elaborate on these in the coming weeks and of course there is so much more information to share. I do not claim to be an expert in nutrition, and I’m not qualified to give medical advice on such matters. I am simply sharing with you what works for Andrew and I.
Here we go …
- Diet drinks are TERRIBLE! Stop drinking them NOW!!! When we started seeing the food coach Andrew was drinking up to 6 cans of diet coke per day – as soon as he cut it out he noticed a difference on the scales!!!! Drink plenty of water or sparkling mineral water instead. A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime in sparkling water is a refreshing alternative to those nasty chemicals which confuse your body, make you hungry and ultimately inhibit your weight loss. If there is one thing you ever take away from my ramblings it is this!!!
- Sugar is the enemy. When I was growing up we were always taught that fat was the problem when trying to lose weight but in fact good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, and nuts) in moderation are actually really good for you, sugar on the other hand causes lots of problems not least of all weight gain and is hidden in so many foods.
- Eat as cleanly as possible – check the ingredients of food you buy – avoid artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, flavour enhancers, SUGAR and sweeteners. You will be surprised where you find these nasties …
- Enjoy a healthy breakfast every single day!!! Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day – I have always found that eating a good breakfast results in better habits throughout the day.
- Keep eating!!! Not eating will not help you lose weight in the long term! Starving yourself tells your body to hold onto everything in case it never gets food again!!! Rather eat a good breakfast, a decent mid morning snack (containing protein preferably), lunch, mid afternoon snack and dinner. You will be less likely to feel hungry and your body’s metabolism will work more effectively.
- Move!!! Whether it be a brisk walk, light jog, weights session, or a bootcamp your body will love to get moving. I find it much more effective to exercise first thing for many reasons, but it really doesn’t make a difference when you train as long as you get moving! Although at the end of the day most of your weight loss will come down to nutrition, the benefits of those feel good endorphins released when training will make you feel happier, healthier and more inspired to treat your body the way it wants to be treated!
- Preparation is vital to a healthy diet! At the beginning of the week write down a food plan –what are you going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? When making healthy and delicious meals is it possible to make double and freeze half? Having delicious home made meals ready to go in the freezer will save you from resorting to unhealthy takeaway at the end of a hectic day.
- Drink lots of water (ideally filtered)– at least 2 – 3 litres a day, especially if exercising. Water is everything to our bodies, and you will notice a huge difference when you drink more water if you haven’t been drinking enough. When we are dehydrated we feel tired, lethargic, hungry and unwell. First thing in the morning drink a glass of water with some fresh lemon squeezed in. It is a great detoxer and a refreshing energising start to the day.
- Avoid starchy carbohydrates after lunch. Try and eat dinners that do not contain carbs such as potatoes, pasta, rice and bread. Instead load up on veggies and protein and you will notice a change super fast! If you really feel like you need carbs at night swap the starchy carbs for low GI options such as sweet potato or legumes.
- Get enough sleep!!! We need at least 8 hours sleep a day in order for our bodies to regroup and recharge and not getting enough sleep has been scientifically proven to negatively impact weight loss – with 3 young children sleep is golden in our house!!!
It’s also really important to concentrate on your goal – what is it that you are really seeking to achieve for yourself. It’s much easier to work to specific goal than a vague idea of one. Is it a pair of jeans you want to fit into, a special occasion coming up, an event you want to train for, your fat percentage? Concentrate on working towards that and know that you can do whatever you set your mind to!!!
I hope you enjoyed these tips and I look forward to your feedback, don’t forget to click on the follow tab so that you can follow me via email ….
Have a great week everyone!