Here is an incredibly easy recipe for chocolate balls which are a great alternative to a sugary treat when that sweet craving hits. They are full of superfoods and very rich so you won’t want to over indulge, yet they really do the trick. I find they get me through that post lunch/afternoon slump perfectly or as a treat to have with a cup of tea after dinner.
I added protein powder to the recipe below but that is entirely up to you. Also you could jazz it up with some chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds etc) or chia seeds (for more fibre), maybe some peppermint extract instead of vanilla – really the options are endless. This is a great base recipe to work with and I quite like them like this …
What you will need:
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut butter
Optional: 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (I used Theresa Cutter’s all natural vanilla – pure whey protein sweetened with stevia – no artificial nasties)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
How to pull it together:
1. Put the dates in the water and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and soak for 30 minutes. Blend dates in a food processor/blender until smooth.
3. Warm the jars of coconut oil and butter until runny. Measure out amount required and add to the date mixture.
4. Add vanilla, salt and cacoa powder and mix to combine.
5. If using, add the protein powder and mix well.
6. The mixture will be really runny, you’ll need to chill in the fridge for a good 45 minutes – hour or until the consistency is fudgy (i.e. easy to roll).
6. Roll mixture into balls and roll in the coconut and then I like to to put them in mini cupcake patties. (Don’t be frightened the rolling part gets quite messy – once they are in balls and in the fridge they harden up beautifully and make a great little snack)
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy!!!