I am still struggling to come to terms with the fact that it is already December. We personally have had a massive year filled with lots of exciting adventures but it has really flown! So here we are at that time of the year when everyone is trying to squeeze catch ups and celebrations in before the year ends and 2015 rolls in.
I know that when I am in my normal routine it is a lot easier to stay on track with my food and general well-being. When you are eating out a lot more than normal it becomes challenging to stay in control of what you are eating and drinking, and if you don’t have iron-clad willpower (let’s face it – how many of us really do?!) then you can pretty much guarantee that you will over indulge.
Here are my top 5 tips to staying on track during this crazy time.
1. Drink lots (and lots and lots) of water. Try and drink at least 3 litres per day. If like us you are living Down Under you’ll need it to help your body deal not just with toxins but also with the heat – and we are expecting a scorcher of a summer in Australia this year!
2. Don’t let your training regime go out the window. Make sure you commit to as many of your regular sessions as you can, and if you can pick up a couple of extra workouts to make up for relaxing your diet, then that’s all the better for you! If you can find a training buddy to keep you accountable and motivated it will make it much easier to stick to your resolve.
3. Don’t skimp on your sleep. Yes there might be some late nights celebrating, but make an extra effort to turn the screens off and have early nights when you don’t have stuff on. You should be aiming for at least 7 hours sleep – more at this time of the year would be even better!
4. Eat more greens! Full of essential nutrients to help your body detox and recover, eating more leafy greens at this time of year will really make a difference. Throw a handful of spinach in your scrambled eggs in the morning, or in your protein shake. Even better, now is a good time to make a green smoothie a daily ritual. My favourite green smoothie is a blend of spinach, cucumber, lemon,green apple, ginger, turmeric, ice and filtered water. I also like to add my supplements including a probiotic powder, greens powder and collagen. All which keep me on top of my game!
5. Try not to stress about it! Stress is probably the most toxic thing you can do to your body. It’s been a big year, why shouldn’t you be able to let your air down and enjoy yourself a little more than usual?! Do the best you can but don’t beat yourself up for having a bit of fun over the next few weeks. Just make sure you resolve to jump straight back on the wagon in the new year.
Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season and all the best for 2015!