Lamb, Roast Vegetable and Pesto Salad
serves 4 (as a main)
This is such a tasty meal! If you don’t want to use meat it is delicious without the lamb as a vegetarian main meal or zesty side dish.
What you will need:
- 500 grams (1.5 pounds) diced lamb marinated for as long as possible (ideally overnight but 1-2 hours is fine) in the marinade listed below
- 1 eggplant (aubergine) diced
- 1 zucchini (courgette) diced
- 1 punnet (150 grams or 5 ounces) button mushrooms halved
- ¼ jap pumpkin (about 1 ½ cups) diced
- Olive oil for roasting
- Extra freshly squeezed lemon juice for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pesto (see recipe below or you can find it on my website here.) It’s worth making your own – this has a delicious kick of lemon that goes beautifully with this salad.
- Baby spinach leaves
- Feta Cheese (optional)
For the Lamb Marinade
Shake or whisk the following ingredients together:
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 garlic clove (or 1 teaspoon good quality minced garlic)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
How to pull it together:
Toss the eggplant, zucchini, pumpkin and mushrooms in a little olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes or until well cooked to your liking.
When the veggies have about 10 minutes to go (i.e. after about 30 minutes) start cooking the lamb until browned. (you can either pan-fry or barbeque the lamb). It is best to do this in batches so it doesn’t stew in the marinade. When ready, toss with the roasted veggies and add a couple of tablespoons pesto and stir through.
Serve on a bed of baby spinach leaves and top with some chopped feta cheese (if using)
If you like you can add an extra squeeze of lemon before serving.
The Shrinking Hubby’s Pesto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts dry roasted (you can do this in the oven on some baking paper or in a non-oiled pan on the stove – keep an eye on them – they can burn quickly!)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves (or 2 teaspoons good quality organic minced garlic)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
How to pull it together:
Place the pine nuts, basil, lemon juice, garlic, Parmesan, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil while the motor is running in a thin stream until well combined.
If using a Thermomix:
Put an approximately 65 gram (2 ounce) chunk of Parmesan into the mixing bowl and blitz, speed 10 for about 8 seconds or until evenly grated.
Add the basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix speed 6 for about 3 seconds or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
You will end up with a deliciously chunky pesto.