A really healthy sweet treat that you can enjoy guilt free – sound too good to be true? This is an absolutely delicious recipe from The Healthy Chef (Teresa Cutter). Full of healthy ingredients, it uses honey instead of sugar and almond meal instead of flour but does not sacrifice itself as far as taste and satisfaction is concerned. This is a great cake to make if you are having people over for tea and freezes really well if you want to cut it up into individual serves for when that sweet craving hits hard. Feel free to play around with the spices and/or dried fruit – adding some walnuts might be nice …
Healthy Carrot Cake
What you will need:
3 large carrots grated (food processors make this task really easy)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups almond meal
1/4 cup coconut oil (Teresa uses macadamia nut or olive oil – I used coconut oil and found it gave the cake a deliciously nutty flavour)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup craisons (I added these – delicious!)
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
How to make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius (320 degrees Fahrenheit)
2. Combine carrot, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond meal, oil, honey, sultanas, craisons and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well. (I used my mix-master on a slow setting to make sure it mixed well)
3. Pour into a lined and greased loaf tin.
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through. You may need to cover with foil if it starts to burn before cooked through.
5. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin then turn out and serve as you wish. (it is delicious on it’s own, or you could top it with greek yoghurt, cream cheese and icing sugar or whatever you fancy).